Monday, August 27, 2012

Return to writer

After a 4 year hiatus, I've decided to write again.  It's a great way of taking a snapshot of my thoughts at a moment in time.

I spent the day thinking about Magda.  I first met her over 3 years ago.  My encounter was so inspiring, I remember every detail vividly.  It was early evening on April 19th 2009, I was walking home from work when I passed by Wigmore Hall.  To my pleasant surprise, there was a music competition starting in 15 minutes.  I bought a single ticket, made my way to the third row and sat down just as the lights dimmed.  Magda walked out on stage with a violin in her left hand and a bow in her right: she looked stunning.  The next 14 and a half minutes changed my life.  She chose for her first piece, the Bach Ciaconne, my favourite piece of all time and perhaps the greatest work yet written for solo violin.  Her playing was so captivating, in a full concert hall, I felt she spoke only to me.

Magda and I kept in touch over the years.  We met last night and caught up on various aspects of our lives. She told me she may lose her beloved violin, a N. Gagliano from the 1700s.  The despair in her eyes told it all.  She had grown close to this instrument, but unfortunately it's on loan to her.  A joint deal between two charity foundations was supposed to purchase this violin for her continued use, but fell through.  This means she will have to return it.  I spent the day thinking of ways to raise the funds, including selling my flat and giving her the proceeds.  Unfortunately, in this instance, I have to say my head prevailed over my heart.  It is a shame that this artistic expression is so strongly controlled by commerce.  In this industry, money, not talent, unjustly rewards.  I am determined that within my lifetime, I will find a way to ensure she has the violin she rightly deserves.

No comments: