Sunday, March 02, 2008

Culture

For some reason, my desire for writing is directly correlated with how busy I am. I've also just noticed that busy-ness spelled with the 'y' changed to an 'i' is business. Hmm...I wonder...

The past few months have not been busy at all. That's not to say that not much have been happening. Since my last post, I've traveled to Guadeloupe, graduated from business school, became an uncle, moved to London and started work.
Having spent the last month or so in NY, I've noticed that NY culture is heavily driven by media. That's not to say this isn't true elsewhere, but my non-scientific observation is leading me to believe it is much more so than anywhere else. I've been finding it very difficult to meet someone who's interests and hobbies aren't plastered on billboards and airing on prime-time television. It certainly is taking me longer to peel away the outer layers of these walking commercials to get to know the real person underneath. On the surface, everyone either is a foodie (quoting me top-10 lists from the food network), enjoys traveling (listing the hottest destination from the travel channel) and/or likes music (rambling off the latest awards or American Idol episodes). Where are the real foodies who have homemade recipes to share, travelers who've been to rarely-heard-of remote locations, and opera goers who can tell you some history of music that spans more than 3 weeks?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

they are all dead.

Yoni said...

Hey, I read the posts too!
And BTW, did you see American Idol last night? I mean WOW! ;)